IPL 2021 retention:
Young blood is the new hope for Chennai Super Kings
- Chennai Super Kings have retained Suresh Raina among the senior players. M.Vijay, Kedar Jadhav, Harbhajan Singh and Piyush Chawla.
- Chennai Super Kings have released six players ahead of a mini-auction to be held next month for the 2021 edition of the Indian Premier League.
- The released players from Chennai Super Kings are M.Vijay, Piyush Chawla, Monu Kumar Singh, Kedar Jadhav, Harbhajan Singh and Shane Watson, who announced his retirement after last year’s edition.
- And amid controversy surrounding Suresh Raina’s abrupt departure from the UAE before the start of last year’s tournament, which did not go well with the team management, the former India batsman has been retained.
- The team missed his services last year and will hope for stability once he returns.
- The 3-time champion endured its worst season in 2020 finishing joint last in the tournament played in the UAE.
- Speaking about the decision to release the players and what they are looking for, CSK CEO K.S. Vishwanathan said, “We feel we need to strengthen our batting line-up and look at infusing some young blood. Another slot we will look at is an off-spinner ” .
- With two leg-spinners in Karn Sharma and Imran Tahir, Chawla, who was picked last year, was released freeing up Rs 6.75 crores. On the other hand, Jadhav has not delivered in the last two years.
- CSK will enter the auction with a purse of Rs. 22.9 crores and fill a maximum of seven slots, including one foreign player, but Viswanathan said they would look to fill three to four slots only as it allows the team to be aggressive in getting their first-choice players.
- For More Updates Stay Tuned